SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are they cracking down in SF?
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2007

tagster is on a distinguished road
Are they cracking down in SF?

I was reading some marina rules that seem pretty asinine. Something like "Vessels may be used for the purposes of eating or sleeping, not to exceed 72 hours within a 7 day period" which basically means you're fine to stay aboard 7 days a week if you don't stay at home more than 10 hours a day on average...seems cute.

Coming from Seattle where we have some marinas that are privately owned and have no limits, and most marinas rent from the washington state DNR and are complete nazi's about living aboard. They also have live aboard quotas (some 15% to 20% of the slips may be live-aboard slips, depending on the marina and their agreements with the DNR) and let some people live aboard.

There is also a bit of bias that basically results in crack-down on derelict vessels. I've noticed in Seattle you absolutely cannot find a slip if you call around asking for a live aboard (unless you want to pay $250k for one of those condominium dock space deals) but if you move in first, you can sometimes switch to live-aboard status with ease. Luckily I keep my vessel fairly well maintained so it doesn't look like a floating wreck.

So what's the story when it comes to living aboard in the San Francisco Bay?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook