SailNet Community - View Single Post - Can you identify THIS S/V ??
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Please allow me a small correction, the Caravela (a Portuguese invention, sailboat of the 1440's that could actually point into the wind) had triangular sails, known as Vela Latina, (the mother of the Genoa and jib) and no bowsprit.

Here is a Caravela.

The one there in the photo is a Carranca, square sails, used by Gil Eanes and Bartolomeu Dias to cross the Good Hope Cape. Also a Portuguese invention.

The reason for using a square sail that needed more crew, was due to the fact that most of the sailing past the good hope to India was done with downwind. Thus the choice of Bartolomeu Dias.

It could very well be a Portuguese replica, or a replica of a boat that the Spanish "copied" from the Portuguese and was used by Comombo.

However, as Colombos boats were all Caravelas, not Carrancas, that can't be one of Colombos boats.

I can tell you this:

That bow structure, arched up bellow the bowsprit, is NOT Portuguese design. To me this is either a Dutch or Swedish vessel from the 1700's, but seems too small. I think its a replica, made for movies...The bow structureis typical Northern Europe. And can be seen in the Vasa. The great big Disaster boat that only sailed 3 feet beckwards and sunk on launch!!!!

I think its a small replica of a Dutch Vessel from the Indies Company.

Portuguese and Spanish Vessels had the Cross Of Christ in the Sails.

Last edited by Giulietta; 06-16-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook