SailNet Community - View Single Post - close reach = beating?
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2007

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrondi
... 25º off the wind. Apparently, you mean apparent wind and certainly it has to blow above a certain level (I gather about 12 knots).
Chrondi, Giu's boat is no ordinary cruiser. Giu's hi performance sailing rocket should most likely point 25º true.

A normal "performance cruiser" can tack 90º true or better.
That is 45º true off the wind. at 12 knots of wind and 5 knots of boat speed this would be about 30º apparent.
Even I can do it easy on my Beneteau 423. The track on a GPS plotter gives you a nice picture about true angles.
Polars for my boat indicates I could do better then 30º true (but at cost of low speed and therefore no the best VMG which is if I would go 40 to 45º true - depends on wind).
Of course polars are far from real life (my bottom growth, my sails condition, my not-so-perfect sail trim, the waves and my lack of skills all make results worse...)

But consider Giu's racing background, his new and clean racing boat, deeeeeeeeeeep high aspect keel (maybe even the shark helps), racing folding prop, his new sails and add to that his huge desire to be the best in everything - and here you are: I am sure 25º is true not apparent.

Giu,
please let us know what is the angle you use to achieve best VMG ?
I would guess 25º is the angle to prove how high you can point and 30º may be where the speed builds up (in normal winds) - or am I wrong?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beneteau Oceanis 473

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

full time cruising
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook