SailNet Community - View Single Post - Swage Corrosion
Thread: Swage Corrosion
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21
Fluffy,
I am curious to know how he determined they were close to failure. Did he physically take them apart from the stay/shroud?

The Sta-lock suggestion makes sense only to the extent that one would disassemble, inspect, and reassemble. What type of maintenance is advised during the inspection process of the Sta-lock?

Standing rigging, whether on ship or boat, seems to just get replaced periodically because we just figure "it's due" versus running rigging, which is much more likely to actually exhibit signs of wear. IIRC, every five years on a cargo ship for standing rigging with running rigging inspected monthly and torn down (blocks, goosenecks, etc...) annually.

Good topic.
S'way,

Having had a look at what he talking about I now see what he means. While there is very little obvious corrosion when you have a bit of a dig around the top of the swage it's all just corroded metal.

I dare say he wasn't trying to suggest he had proof of impending failure, more that it worried him and he suspected possible failure.

Judging by the crap I saw yesterday I think he is correct.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook