Join Date: May 2007
Location: Alameda, CA
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 10
Tension of Standing Rigging
So preparing for my trip I've been checking up on and fixing item after item on my boat...and I've noticed that my stays are all completely different tensions.
I have a lot of them.
On the foremast:
- Two forward stays
- Three standing/main stays
- Two strongbacks (high tension running back stays)
On the main mast:
- One forward stay (rigged to the foremast)
- Four standing/main stays (one forward one aft and one pair of two center of the mast)
- One fully adjustable running back stay (only tightened/loosened by hand using some compound pulleys and a line clip - whatever those are called)
How tight should each stay be? I'm fairly sure they should be balanced around the boat, but how much give should they have? Should I be able to shake them with my hands?