So preparing for my trip I've been checking up on and fixing item after item on my boat...and I've noticed that my stays are all completely different tensions.
I have a lot of them.
On the foremast:
- Two forward stays
- Three standing/main stays
- Two strongbacks (high tension running back stays)
On the main mast:
- One forward stay (rigged to the foremast)
- Four standing/main stays (one forward one aft and one pair of two center of the mast)
- One fully adjustable running back stay (only tightened/loosened by hand using some compound pulleys and a line clip - whatever those are called)
How tight should each stay be? I'm fairly sure they should be balanced around the boat, but how much give should they have? Should I be able to shake them with my hands?