SailNet Community - View Single Post - OMC Sail Drive
Thread: OMC Sail Drive
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2007

chamann981 is on a distinguished road
omc saildrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by modusvivendi
Not more difficult than most sailboat that size! Have you seen a sailboat that size with inboard that was easy to access? I have a C&C27, with the famous Universal Atomic 4. You got to go on a diet a week prior to working on the engine.
I heard the OMC saildrive are reliable and you should not worry about them too much. I know someone who has one, and he had water backing up to the engine. the engine stalled and filled with water. I heard of a drain plug on the exhaust, does anyone know about this? Perhaps you could buy a used one, and save the parts for the future!
I have an OMC saildrive in a late 70's S2. It worked fine until this season when one of the cylinders filled with water. The mechanic says the engine is toast with probably a cracked cylinder. However he said the compression test was OK ??

Experienced advice is needed! Should I drag the boat all over Western New York looking for a second opinion on an almost 30 year old engine or just hang an outboard on the stern? I love the convenience of the electric start inboard and the looks of not having and outboard sticking out back.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook