SailNet Community - View Single Post - OMC Sail Drive
Thread: OMC Sail Drive
View Single Post
post #9 of Old 06-19-2007
omc saildrive

Originally Posted by modusvivendi
Not more difficult than most sailboat that size! Have you seen a sailboat that size with inboard that was easy to access? I have a C&C27, with the famous Universal Atomic 4. You got to go on a diet a week prior to working on the engine.
I heard the OMC saildrive are reliable and you should not worry about them too much. I know someone who has one, and he had water backing up to the engine. the engine stalled and filled with water. I heard of a drain plug on the exhaust, does anyone know about this? Perhaps you could buy a used one, and save the parts for the future!
I have an OMC saildrive in a late 70's S2. It worked fine until this season when one of the cylinders filled with water. The mechanic says the engine is toast with probably a cracked cylinder. However he said the compression test was OK ??

Experienced advice is needed! Should I drag the boat all over Western New York looking for a second opinion on an almost 30 year old engine or just hang an outboard on the stern? I love the convenience of the electric start inboard and the looks of not having and outboard sticking out back.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome