SailNet Community - View Single Post - liveaboard marinas in the NYC area
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2007

mrh116 is on a distinguished road
Sorry for the late reply. I'm out of town.

I am aware of the cost of the living situation in both the Hoboken and the Port Washington area. At first I was thinking of living aboard to avoid the high cost of rents in the Manhattan and Hoboken areas, but I have subsequently decided that I can live in an area like Mont Clare (sp?) and get a decent rent price. At this time, it would be more about living the 'dream' and working toward paying off an early retirement home.

The thing weighing on me now that makes me want to take the risk is the price of boats and the low interest rates. Have you guys seen the price of boats? I am seeing Hans Christians that were mid $200ks a year or two ago and now they are asking $180k, $190k and there are dozens of them on the market. Prices are still coming down.

I recently viewed a custom 43' Hank Hinkley design in Charleston SC. It went on the market 18 months ago for $235k. It is still sitting at the dock for $135k. The boat was beautiful, just not a good liveaboard. I think that we are in an extremely out of balance buyers market and it would be a great time to get a boat that would normally be out of your price range.

Mark
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook