SailNet Community - View Single Post - Transporting Paint
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2002

MaryBeth is on a distinguished road
Transporting Paint

No problem at all.

Paint is considered a hazmat for a reason. It is extremely flammable. It should be considered a great risk on a vessel having propane as their only cooking fuel. Even though it is in a closed container, so are the containers of diesel needed for such a voyage, which are not nearly so flammable, I know. Your answer is, for me, I would not ever ask my friends to transport something so dangerous. I know of the costs to transport, but it would pale in comparison to my friends'' lives. While you may be able to repair a loose alternator connection before it sets the propane alight, who is to say if you miss by a few hours and the boat does blow up. (If not for a small bird dying on one of my voyages, we would never have known of a propane leak, and, upon later inspection of the engine, we might have blown up that very day - in the middle of nowhere.) A propane explosion may be escaped by those who can get the liferaft adrift before the sinking, but there would be that much more fire and brimstone before the boat goes if there were paint aboard. I guess that what I am saying is that if friends were aboard, my wish would be to wish the least amount of explosives aboard. The absence of paint allows for an extra step into the liferaft, I guess.

Many thanks for your polite questioning, tho. I don''t have all the knowledge in the world, needless to say, but I have been around. I do have a friend who sank and spent 13 days at sea before they started putting latches on the cockpit lockers of a certain boat. To me, anything that is safer is better.

If you can find a transport for your paint, bless you. I just wouldn''t ask anyone I knew to do it.

Thanks Duane,
MaryBeth
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook