SailNet Community - View Single Post - jordan series drogue
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
SD, and your post was not off-topic? :-)

Jordan Series drogue is on a shortlist of thinks I would like to install on my boat when I get her out of slavery (my poor beauty have to work as charter boat for another 2 years).
So, I am very interested to hear about the recovery issues.

My boat have a spade rudder and I think sea anchor (from the bow) may make it brake easier in bad storm.
The drogue (from the the stern) is (I hope) easier on my rudder as the boat moves forward and not backward.
Yes I know some would say that with a sea anchor it does not move at all, but if you put the waves and rode slack into the equation - you can expect significant forward/backward movements.

My idea of recovery (I read all I could about JSD about a year ago) is this:
After the wind is not that bad I could us the engine in reverse to stop the boat and try to recover the drogue with the help of a winch.
There are two main dangers I see:
1) reversing too much and get the drogue in the prop (ouch),
2) the cones would tangle into the winch and create a mess.
As a last resort I was thinking of using two shorter ropes:
1) attach one rope to the drogue and winch until the drogue is close to the winch on coach roof.
2) attach the other rope to drogue as far back as reachable and winch it to the other winch,
3) release the first rope . .
4) repeat the process (perhaps 20 or more times).
But this is all theory. I never saw JSD in real life. And I never tried to recover anything heavy on open ocean after a heavy storm - I guess the waves should be still quite big - so comments are welcome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beneteau Oceanis 473

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

finished cruising after two years.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook