SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need some electrical/shore power advice, please
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007

FrankLanger is on a distinguished road
Need some electrical/shore power advice, please

Despite reading various books on boat electrical systems, I seem to have a learning block and it doesn't really make sense to me. I would really appreciate answers to a couple of questions:

My boat has 30 amp shore power capability, but the marina we are travelling to only has 15 and 20 amp on the docks. If I minimize our electrical use to cabin lights, stereo and periodic water pressure pump for drinking water, will I have a problem? The marina says "no problem" and is willing to loan us an adaptor cord.

Second question: We would like to anchor out periodically, and have a Link 1,000 inverter and two group 27 house batteries (separate from the group 24 starting battery). My wife would like to use her 1500 watt hair dryer for about 5 minutes once per day. The inverter manual says it can take slightly higher loads for short periods without tripping the breaker or overheating. I have been hesitant to have my wife try the hair dryer--can anyone advise if it would be ok to use or not? Also, when at our normal dock, with 30 amp AC shorepower, can she use the hair dryer on the boat, or does the shorepower go through the inverter and potentially cause a problem?

Thanks for any help on this.

Frank.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook