SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need some electrical/shore power advice, please
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Frank-
After my niece blew a breaker with her new hair drier, I had a few words with some makers. Apparently there's been a hair drier war in the US for a while, 1500 Watts is about the smallest you'll find...even though that alone is more than the power load that is supposed to be on many single-line circuits in houses. (117VAC nomimal, 10A per leg, = 1170 watts.) given older home wiring, and the 1600 and 1700 W driers out all over now...the company that made hers, and half the private-label ones in the US, sent her a 1400W special model as a replacement. They're familiar with the problem.

The only problem you might have running on shore power, is that 1500W will still try to draw 1500W even if you have lower voltage, i.e. 107VAC, at which point it will draw over 14 amps. Dunno if your wiring on the boat is sized up to handle that.

Personally I'd suggest checking your own wiring on the AC runs to see if that's OK, and looking into a "travel" drier that has a lo-med-high switch on it, which often means 800-1100 watts on the two lower settings. Blows a lot less breakers that way. If her drier has two heat settings--avoiding the high one should also make it draw substantially less watts, sometimes a piece of tape over the switch is all you need.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook