SailNet Community - View Single Post - Keel fiberglassing/hit some rocks?
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007

RichmondVI is on a distinguished road
neptune has it coming

Thank god and baby jesus it is external. Had a talk on the beach after work with a friend who had similar ideas about the importance of making sure the keel bolts were holding on to the hull well and basically glassing/filling as necessary to seal it up from water. getting the boat out of the water will be tough as everyone wants to be out for hurriane season. i'm going down to the boat yard in the next week or so to see when they have space and that will dictate my game plan. What is the S1 stuff? Some kinda of treatment to make glass/epoxy bond to the lead? sounds like it is going to be a sh!t show but here we go!

side note, no 5 inch velcro adhesive disks for my sander on island. opps, put the sander down with no paper and melted it (sanded better then you would expect). went to 4 of the 6 harware stores here and...nope, called the other two... nope. Home depot however has 6 trailers in there parking lot since last week monday full of stuff which they say includes these disks. Welcome to the caribean love.

Thanks for all the help as it seems this won't be the end of the world just a good lesson on one way a keel gets attached to the hull on a sailboat. If your interested i'll send some pics when she is out of the water and what goes down.

cheers
Rich
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook