SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Name Change Jinx (or not)
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
There's lots of lore out there for changing names on boats. One thing is to remove all items from the boat that have the old name on them. Then there's the ceremony to retire the old name and to obtain Neptune's blessing on the new name. Primary problem with the original ceremony was the need to pour the urine of a virgin on the bow. Given the lack of virgins these days, most folks use champagne.

I changed the name of my P-33 when I bought her in 2003 and never really had an official ceremony. Things have been fine so far! But I did take off all the old stuff with the old name, which was Hot Number. That name didn't work for me -- the new name is Inner Voice. Much better for a sailboat I think.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook