SailNet Community - View Single Post - $3000/mo cruising budget
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
The thread title included the word cruising. To me cruising means traveling not stationary live aboard in a different place. It would be helpful in understanding people's posts if they defined miles traveled and cruising ground.
Agree completely, and that's the primary reason why I found some of the stuff in the "Voyaging on $500/month" thread at least verging on the semi-delusional... :-)

Going places, actually using the boat full-time, costs money... In my observation, one of the biggest factors that people embarking on full time "voyaging" for the first time tend to underestimate, is the greatly increased wear and tear on a boat suddenly being used all the time, and the amount of time (and consequently, money) spent "fixing their boats in exotic locations"... I think many people grossly underestimate the costs of maintenance, or tend to attempt to defer them as long as possible. (Which of course can lead to bigger problems, and wind up costing more, in the long run) It can wear a lot of folks down pretty quickly, and I think it's definitely one of the primary reason why many quit the fulltime cruising life sooner, rather than later... Also, one of the most compelling arguments for avoiding complexity, and keeping things as simple as possible - within reason, of course...

Pretty good post from SAILFEED, regarding the maintenance costs on a couple out there on a Stevens 47... To someone sailing a modest boat like mine, these numbers certainly give pause to the notion of 'stepping up' to a comparable boat, to say the least... :-)

Cruising costs, routine maintenance, and the 10% (15%, 20%) rule | Sailfeed

The cost of cruising: Totem?s maintenance list | Sailfeed

Last edited by JonEisberg; 03-04-2014 at 01:12 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook