SailNet Community - View Single Post - What stops Americans cruising the world?
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2014

Nostrodamus is on a distinguished road
Re: What stops Americans cruising the world?

This thread has now run on quiet a while and as usual it has drifted quiet a bit. That is no bad thing as it shows other things as well.
I have been accused of being biased and ill informed which I tried not to be but I obviously was.
Having read all the replies I will give a couple of answers and then summarise what I have learnt or think I have learnt. No doubt I will be shot at again but if you are going to ask a question or give your own views you should accept that.

We do want to sail to every place in the world but that is never going to happen. My ambition has always been to get to New Zealand. I don't know why it just has been. We were going to sail states side next year but our youngest son left the boat to start his own life and we wanted to make sure he was settled. Women in general need to know there offspring is ok and that they can get to them quickly if need be. We are both on the boat doing this and she has the right to say what she would like as much as me. On this occasion I agree with her so we have deferred the trip.

From the thread.
From the replies on here I think that Americans or those who have replied have less inclination to travel away from there own country as Europeans. I agree it is far easier for us to travel within Europe. Most places have cheap flights and are only a few hours away.
Europeans seem to have more curiosity about other countries. We like to go to another country on our vacations even though we cannot speak the language but we will try and learn.
I don't know if it is down to American media, government or pre conceptions but I felt from this thread that Americans think that so many other countries hate Americans. I think you would find that you will be welcome in most places with open arms. As a few have said.. treat people right and you will be right. We have felt far less fear of crime in the countries we have visited than our own. Americans seem very deepley patriotic about there country which is no bad thing but because someone questions that life please don't think we are having a go. Sometimes we are trying to learn.

Money... People seem concerned that they do no have enough money... we were the same but if you have a dream and want that dream to become a reality then it can be done. We sold our house and everything we had to buy a boat and live on a pension. What we are doing though is living.
Visas... we will probably find it harder and will be checked far more when we sail to America that you will find it here. We will still go and do it though. Life is full of problems but they are challenges and any sailor likes a challenge. It will not put us off or stop us coming so put some beers in the fridge for us.

I have enjoyed the thread, hopefully learnt something and thank everyone who has contributed.

Now no doubt I will be attacked over my thoughts but they are only my thoughts. I always stand to be corrected and accept that I have a lot to learn.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook