SailNet Community - View Single Post - What stops Americans cruising the world?
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: What stops Americans cruising the world?

Happy Birthday, N. I'm not big on birthday gifts, so whether one can afford them or not, we have something in common. I prefer the company of my family and friends for my birthday. No presents.

I hope you don't receive this as an attack, but I disagree with your conclusion on Americans and you seem convinced of what you thought to start, not what you learned here.

First, your OP focused on cruisers, not the general population. Cruisers in America, or Europe for that matter, are going to be predominantly on the upper end of the economic spectrum. As I literally pondered every single person I know with a cruising boat, I can't think of a single one that hasn't traveled abroad. It would take me an hour to think of every city and country I've ever been within. The cruising population can't be compared to a taxi driver or typical Disney vacationer. A generalization you've still not acknowledged you made in error.

Secondly, the accessibility of foreign borders and other languages in Europe is far different from the US. The distance to travel from New England to Florida, a very commonly traveled route for those that are frozen in up here, is greater than it would take to cross all of Europe. I just flew from FL to NY yesterday. It was 78F degs in sunny palm trees when I left and -8F when I landed.

America is large enough to have everything from glaciers to deserts and from mountains to oceans. I've enjoyed visiting Europe, in fact, my wife is a British citizen. But, you can't draw conclusions on an entire country that dwarfs Europe, from a visit to Disney or a few posts on the internet. Including, however you may receive mine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 03-04-2014 at 08:01 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook