Thread: Blower hose
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Blower hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfdad91 View Post
Today while replacing my blower on my just purchased Columbia 8.7 I noticed the hose connects to the top of the engine housing and the intake is at the bottom. I would think it would be the other way around.
The hottest air/fumes in the engine compartment will be at the top while the engine is operating. One wants to remove that and have it replaced by cooler clean air that will be drawn into the bottom of the compartment by static air pressure. In most cases, you will want roughly twice as much intake vent area as you have discharge through a properly functioning vent/blower. If your engine is gasoline powered, you may need an intermittent blower/vent to the bottom of the compartment to run for a few minutes before attempting to start the engine as a matter of safety. Unless your boat has some serious defects, there will be no way that Propane fumes can reach the engine space. If they can, however, you have much more to be concerned about than where the exhaust vent is positioned.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 03-04-2014 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Add addendum/correction
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook