SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Fairclough Cover Failed
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2014

DrB will become famous soon enough
Snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilCigno View Post
Reading this tread, I was wondering why this 'Fairclough' cover is being used at all. Here in the Netherlands you don't see structures like this at all. I can see the logic if you're a liveaboard, but in all other situations it seems somewhat superfluous to me because a sailboat is usually quite watertight in itself for rain and snow. Could you explain to me why this type of cover is apparently so popular in the US?
I lived in The Netherlands for 3 years (The Hague and Eindhoven). The amount of snow that The Netherlands sees in 10 years is roughly equal to the amount of snow in a one to two storms here. This year in the Greater Boston, MA area we've had about 1.75 m of snow this season already. That much additional weight on the boat could cause the deck to fail, especially if it snows and then rains and then there are several partial thaw-freeze cycles. It's not the rain or the snow the that's the specific problem, it's the damage that can happen if any water that finds it's way into hairline cracks and gaps freezes, expands, and then causes the cracks to widen, which increases the potential for water migration into the deck core.