SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rules of the Road: Precedence?
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun
Here lies the body of Michael O'Day
Who died maintaining his Right of Way.
He was right, dead right, as he sailed along,
But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong.

Hey Guys, lets not get too tacky (pun intended) about this. Use your discretion and live another day. If the other fella wants to barge through? Let him, after awhile He'll make that mistake where he will be with our friend Michael O'Day.
I think I know a "Michael".

I went on a canoe and kayak beach camping trip years ago, paddling from the bridge to Wrightsville Beach out to Masonboro Island (not far from Wilmington, NC). We were all paddling, not sailing, and I was in a large whitewater canoe with a single bladed paddle. With the massive amount of cargo space (compared to the kayaks), I was struggling along loaded down with coolers and camping gear. We had to cross a channel that had heavy motor yacht traffic. The kayaks scooted across between a couple that had some separation between them, but it was all I could do to come about and get aimed right before it was obvious the second boat would get there well before I crossed. One of the kayakers turned around and paddled back into the channel and held his hand up and then yelled at me I had the right away because I was hand powered. The motor yacht veered around him at the last second and went between us honking and never slowed up. The kayaker was wearing a spray skirt, but I think it got wet in there anyway.

Technically, I think he was correct, but I waited until I had a much bigger opening and I drained all the water and dumped most of the remaining ice from the coolers before the trip back the next day.

BTW, we dragged our boats across to the waves on the front side and that was some amazing fun. Whitewater boats really perform well in sea surf.

Last edited by arbarnhart; 06-23-2007 at 11:03 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook