SailNet Community - View Single Post - GPS Accuracy - how much is actually needed
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2014

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Re: GPS Accuracy - how much is actually needed

Hello,

To answer your exact question, is it worth it to spend money to get better than +/- 24 feet accuracy? The answer is no.

Really, even +/- 50' is more accuracy than anyone needs. Most charts are not that accurate, so knowing where you are on a chart that is not that accurate doesn't really help you. Do you really think that a rock or jetty or nav aid listed on a chart is accurate to within 25'? They aren't.

Personally, I try to stay at least 100' away from ANY hazards, and usually I can stay much further away from them than that.

Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm2187 View Post
How accurate is your GPS. I have a new Raymarine A67 chart plotter which I love. When mounted on deck without an external gps sensor has an accuracy of about 4-10 feet. When mounted below deck it has an accuracy between 8-24 feet without an external gps. I plan to mount it below deck without a external gps sensor. With an accuracy of +/- 24 feet on a 40 foot is it worth the additional money to get another few feet of accuracy?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook