SailNet Community - View Single Post - GPS Accuracy - how much is actually needed
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2014
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: GPS Accuracy - how much is actually needed

No matter how accurate your GPS lon/lat fix, it will never improve the accuracy of the underlying chart that you use. In some areas (like my home port) that charts seem to be highly accurate. In other areas (BVI) the charts can be off by as much as 0.5 nm, depending on which "chip" you purchase or charts you select (NOAA inaccurate, NGA accurate). I've posted many demonstrations of this before, but don't have time to hunt them down right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
...For about the same price as the external NMEA 2000 GPS sensor you could buy a tablet that would give you a remote display from the A67 that is usable below decks. Any Android or iOS tablet will do it.
...or smartphone or Win8 tablet.

FYI, the Lenovo Miix 8" tablet that I have purchased (with internal GPS chip) has been seeing periodic price drops to $200 on Amazon. Just install OpenCPN, download NOAA's charts (preferably onto a 32GB microSD card), and install/configure GeolocationTCP, and you've got a really nice portable chartplotter for US use:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook