SailNet Community - View Single Post - GPS Accuracy - how much is actually needed
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road
Re: GPS Accuracy - how much is actually needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post
OK, OK, I am almost convinced that chart plotters are nice. After considering the 4-5 times I have been really confused about exactly where i was I can see that a chart plotter would be nice.
Several years ago when we sailed from West End to Freeport, we wanted to go into a narrow channel east of the main Freeport channel and I just couldnt locate it with my binocs and didnt want to get in too close due to reefs. Suddenly, my daughters BF brought up his laptop to which he had a GPS connected and overlaid our track onto google earth. I was effin amazed.

So, do Ipads have built in GPS? I've never used a tablet computer.
That Lenovo Miix, does it run Win 8 or android? Could I get it with Win7 instead of Win8?

All this 21 century stuff is gonna kill me. Next they'll be putting flush toilets on boats.
I resisted chartplotters, too, I thought my Magellen 310, with nothing but Lat Lon's and a course track, and paper charts was all I ever needed. Then I bought a used center console that already had a Garmin chartplotter mounted on it (with an old black and white model screen). I have to admit, it made a believer out of me.

I now have two chartplotters on my sailboat. One just as a back up.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook