SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sharing your faith while cruising

23K views 184 replies 62 participants last post by  Joel73 
#1 · (Edited)
tread closed

tread closed

#2 ·
Tom you said,
“Many of us are Christians”

Many if not most of us are not. In some parts of the world spreading the faith can get you killed or at the very least put in jail. Visiting a country as a guest means respecting the local customs and beliefs and trying to convert the locals may be considered bad manners. After all, if they are religious they probably consider their religion to be the one true word of God.

I was brought up with the understanding that religion was an accident of birth. If you are born into a Jewish family you think that’s the answer but if you are born into a Moslem family or Christian family then that’s the one true religion. If it works for you then fine and I have no problem discussing the different religions but don’t start out preaching.
All the best,
Robert Gainer

#4 ·
Missionary said:
Many of us are Christians and were given the Graet Commandment to Go Into all the world and share the good news about Christ. It is so much fun and enjoyable to share Christ with someone who if you did not share would never hear. This is not just the pastors or missionaries job, its all Christians. Or just going to a national church where you are anchored can be rewarding and a great way to share your faith with others. Having a prayer time and Bible study on your boat with other boaters where you are anchored. Visiting with other Christians in nationals homes. When Christians meet other Christians even when they don't speak the same language it is like meeting family.
Tom
:confused: Does this qualify as SPAM?:eek:

#5 ·
What you call "sharing", I call "a needless intrusion into my time and space". What you call, or rather misspell as "a Graet Commandment", I call hallucinated marching orders no different in quality from a homeless person's street corner rant. The fact that your handle is "Missionary", to my mind one of the most destructive, bigoted and ignorant of all avocations, tells me you and your kind only find happiness in pimping for your fictional deity's illusory game plan, because you only understand fear and retribution. Frankly, if your bacon-hating, foreskin-loving sociopath of a godlet existed, he'd magically manifest to every living person, and not rely on a pathetic army of boring pamphleteers to "spread the good news" about your slave faith.

Religion, like most fantasies, should be kept private. I promise not to tell you about mine if you'll shut the **** up about yours. In the meantime, I'll be cruising...away from well-intentioned mental cases who bleat about love and compassion...as long as it's their love and compassion.

#9 ·
Talk amongst yourselves.

I agree it is much safer to not do this in foreign countries. Besides, Missionairies have done enough damage already. "Many of us" isn't me either.

I'm sure in casual conversation, you'll find who you can talk to or not. Be careful.

TrT

#10 ·
1) Shouldn't this be in the Off Topic category?

2) As a native Virginian, I am much chagrined by the Bible thumpers who have become so prominent in the state. But that's another story.

3) The only faiths I care to spread when I'm out cruising are the wind and Mount Gay rum (well, occasionally Goslings).

:)

#12 ·
While I understand the reaction (and am not a practicing Christian) it is puzzling how many have spoken out rather vehemently on this and let the bigotry and racism etc. just slide by on other threads.
I don't find others who want to share their faith threatening...just annoying. Racists, bigots and other extremists are a much larger concern.

#13 ·
camaraderie said:
While I understand the reaction (and am not a practicing Christian) it is puzzling how many have spoken out rather vehemently on this and let the bigotry and racism etc. just slide by on other threads.
I don't find others who want to share their faith threatening...just annoying. Racists, bigots and other extremists are a much larger concern.
I only find it annoying as well Amigo...lets just "Sail On"....!!!

#14 ·
USCGRET1990 said:
Surely you jest...! Cap'n Morgan is the only rum to go...!!!
Many of us are Captain Morgan drinkers and were given the Great Commandment to Go Into all the world and share the good news about Captain Morgan's. It is so much fun and enjoyable to share Captain Morgan's with someone who if you did not share would never hear. This is not just the alcoholic's or drunkard's job, its all Captain Morgan's drinkers. Or just going to a national chain that has a bar where you are anchored can be rewarding and a great way to share your faith with others. Having a Captain Morgan's party and drink recipe study on your boat with other boaters where you are anchored. Visiting with other Captain Morgan's drinkers in nationals homes. When Captain Morgan drinkers meet other Captain Morgan drinkers, even when they don't speak the same language, it is like meeting family.

#16 ·
USCGRET1990 said:
good gawd, I hope wombat don't see this...he'll get on a ramp about
"sky fairies" and all that mess....
See what ? <yawn> Big weekend, somewhat hungover. Heart is just not into Christian bashing this morning. :)

Mind you Cam is on the money. It's amazing how some of us (mea culpa) get all hot and bothered by religious nutters who are simply annoying yet ignore some of the worse excesses of hatred that popo up now and then. Well said Cam.

ps - me reckon it does qualify as SPAM.

#20 ·
bestfriend said:
You're no fun, go back to bed.:p
Ah, if only. It's cold, wet and miserable in Sydney Town today. Good day for hungover marsupial to spend in bed but alas I'm desk bound.

I promise to crucify a couple of nuns and a brace of priests on the morrow.

OK ?

#21 ·
Okay, okay, okay-- I get the message. I need to add a bottle of The Captain to my ship's booze locker!

#22 ·
tdw said:
I promise to crucify a couple of nuns and a brace of priests on the morrow.

OK ?
Reminds me of a joke I used at work on some union idiots who were pushing for a child care center in one of our buildings. I told them that finally, after much persuasion on my part, management had decided to put a child care center in their building. But to save costs, it was going to be run by Catholic priests. Never heard another word from them about it. :D :D :D

#24 ·
Missionary said:
By the postings I must be wrong, very few Christians here, what a shame. I just have one question? When you die and face God, what will you tell Him is the reason you sould be allowed into heaven? Please think about it.
Tom
Oh Eff off. What a stupid thing to ask a bunch of atheists. Dimwit. You might want to believe in your (hi there CGRet :) ) bloody sky pixie but I don't. Now go away.

#25 ·
I drove by a church on the way to work on my boat~2 months ago. The sign said "when the end comes you will be judged by father god not mother earth". It occured to me that for most sailors this is not the case! I think the thing that is sad about most religions (aside of causing most wars) is that the followers are made to feel guilty for living. It is okay to abide by a code of morals and beliefs, it is another thing entirely to state that others will be judged according to your beliefs. People are offened by religious solicitations because they don't like to be judged. Religion is rapidly loosing popularity in most modern cultures for many reasons. The sad part of this is that along with it goes a code of morals that has helped to balance human desire with respect for others.
If you really want to help fellow Christians than go find someone who is really down in the dumps, depressed or a drug addict, abused person or some poor corrupt soul, and take them sailing. Show them the better side of life and help them to heal. You can explain to them that God is there to help them, not judge them. Don't act like you are above everyone and have higher understanding though. Nobody likes that.

#26 ·
Missionary said:
By the postings I must be wrong, very few Christians here, what a shame. I just have one question? When you die and face God, what will you tell Him is the reason you sould be allowed into heaven? Please think about it.
Tom
I hope you will be able to face God and explain to him how you mannaged to push a group of people even further away from Him. I hope you realize you have done more harm to the image of your Savior then any athiest could ever hope to do.

"(1-2) But there were also lying prophets among the people then, just as there will be lying religious teachers among you. They'll smuggle in destructive divisions, pitting you against each other-biting the hand of the One who gave them a chance to have their lives back! They've put themselves on a fast downhill slide to destruction, but not before they recruit a crowd of mixed-up followers who can't tell right from wrong.

(2-3) They give the way of truth a bad name. They're only out for themselves. They'll say anything, anything, that sounds good to exploit you. They won't, of course, get by with it. They'll come to a bad end, for God has never just stood by and let that kind of thing go on." 2 Peter 2:1-3 (The Message)

You should be praying for forgiveness.

To everyone else:
As an agnostic who attends a protestant Christian church every so often in part of my search... I want to appologize for this... for both myself and the Christians who try to honestly follow the loving and accepting actions of Christ. This type of 'damnation by hell fire' talk is unaccetable, and I hope you will accept an appology for a fringe of what can and should be a group of accepting people (though all to often isn't).

- Byron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.