SailNet Community - View Single Post - GPS Accuracy - how much is actually needed
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: GPS Accuracy - how much is actually needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post
OK, OK, I am almost convinced that chart plotters are nice. After considering the 4-5 times I have been really confused about exactly where i was I can see that a chart plotter would be nice.
When I was 17, in the late 1970s, I had been sailing for ages in Sydney harbour, but the big stuff was the long offshore races including the Sydney Hobart. I pleaded with an owner to take me offshore and my first step onboard a huge offshore racer was a day of nerves and excitement. Well, just before dawn on the second day of that first race the skipper ( a real god to me) and the navigator (second god) stood crustily at the nav station looking out the windows at the dim coast line just appearing. This was their conversation:
"Whats that headland?"
"Hmmmm, looks like Cape X"
"Or could be Cape Y"
"Yes, but it looks like Z Headland"

They didnt know where the f we were!

And this happened every bloody morning of every bloody race. We were lost most of the time!

Theres an old joke about the Sydney Hobart yacht Race: go out Sydney harbour, turn right, count 22 light houses and turn right again. But it wasn't a joke. Thats the way they did it!

So there's no looking back for me because I KNOW how navigators couldn't!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook