SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dealer margins on New Boats
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2002

bporter is on a distinguished road
Dealer margins on New Boats

I was quite surprised to find the Beneteau dealer I spoke with last fall to be completely unwilling to budge an inch on the boat price. I was looking at a used 2000 First 40.7 (which I later bought) vs. buying a new one - I was talking to the Dealer about the latter.

They would not move on the boat price itself, which they said was passed on to them from Beneteau and an inviolate policy. However they did have a lot of "specials" on the electronics packages. These were supposedly specials tied to the Annapolis Boat show and were time limited.

I made the call to buy the used boat, so I never actually went to Beneteau with deposit & financing in hand for the yacht - they may have moved more then when they saw firm $$$ and me talking to the Carroll Marine guys about a Farr 395.

Although I was a serious buyer for the boat at the time I did not start to seriously put the screws to them for negotiation. Of course, had they been willing to move some on the overall price earlier then perhaps I''d be sailing a 2002 boat instead of a 2000.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook