SailNet Community - View Single Post - Harken Magic Box (help!)
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2002

chenness is on a distinguished road
Harken Magic Box (help!)

Hello, I''ve purchased an older sailboat, and I''ve been going through all the rigging and hardware and cleaning it up. I''ve been doing ok so far, but have run into a little trouble with the magic box for the back stay. The lines running into the magic box were seized, so I took out the pins, and to my suprise, many little plastic bearing balls dropped out. I collected them all and am now trying to re-assemble the thing.

For starters, is this something people do on purpose (for maintenance? Or re-rigging?) I don''t see how you could re-rig the lines if one had come off the pulleys without taking it apart.

Anyways, there are 8 pulleys, with room for 13 balls between each, for a total of 104 balls. But I only have 12 balls for each, for a total of 96 balls, 1 less than the max that would fit in. Did I lose 8 balls or are they supposed to only have 12?

Next, I''ve assembled it back together, but can''t figure out the way to run the lines through the pulleys. I realize this would be hard to describe but is there a picture on the web somewhere?

Lastly, to rejuvinate pulleys (blocks), what sort of grease to use? Is it ok to use WD-40, and lithium grease, even though it may get on the lines running through the pulleys?

Thanks for all your help,

Craig.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook