SailNet Community - View Single Post - $3000/mo cruising budget
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2014
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road
Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
If by moment, you mean to drop someone off or pick up, then I'm sure we have. But no longer than a moment. I've never squatted intentionally on another's property for the night or even to go for lunch and ducked the responsibility. I have made effort to pay for a public mooring where there was absolutely no one around and I had to leave. I have felt badly for that, but truly tried to find someone to pay. I have never stayed the night on a private mooring/dock, without permission.
That's what I mean. Pick up or drop off, or maybe an emergency or breakdown. Picked up a passenger at a fuel dock. Or docked at a public dock and walked around. I once moored at the wrong ball, but had paid. Anyway, I don't really want to make a major point there, just an offhand comment meant to contrast normal getting around with literally squatting at a resort hotel as a lifestyle. I have never used someone's dingy davit to raise my mast. :-)

So, on my original point about the article - “We especially enjoyed being anchored off fancy resorts that charged $500 a night. We paid zero and had a much better view, without noisy neighbors. During the day we would go ashore to these resorts, using our dinghy, and wander the grounds and enjoy the amenities for free.”

That struck me as really incredibly shady to live a life where you pull up at a resort hotel and use their amenities without at least going to the desk and offering to pay and getting permission. I can't imagine my wife and I doing that. It's stealing.

I mean , I just couldn't physically do it. My conscience would really bother me way to much.

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 03-08-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook