SailNet Community - View Single Post - New York to Block Island
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2007

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk235
I actually keep my boat in the Great South Bay and am also planning on doing a trip to Block Island probably in August. If your coming from Brooklyn and want to break up the trip I would enter the bay in Fire Island Inlet which is the Western most part of the bay and then you have about a 15 mile stretch where there are plenty of places to stay for the night either on Long Island's south shore or even if you anchor up by Fire Island where there are a couple real nice outdoor restaurant and bars that are only accesible by boat / ferry. Then the next day you could continue heading east throughtout the other side of the bay and exit via Moriches inlet. But like others have said these inlets can get pretty nast especially when wind and tide are oppossing eachother. If it is a nice calm day you should have no problem but if its blowing or rough out maybe just stay off shore and continue straight out to Block. If you do head into the bay send me a PM and I will give you a list of places to go and how to get there. Have fun though on your trip!
I have a quession about the opposite trip. I now live in the Newport, RI area and have family on Fire Island. I have always had the impression that the Great South Bay is simply too shallow for sailboats. My boat has nearly a seven foot draft. I am out of luck, right?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook