SailNet Community - View Single Post - Selling a boat from far far away ......
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
CB-
Is there a better market in any of the Dutch islands? It might be simpler to keep the sale in a Dutch territory, where the authorities are familiar with what will need to be done, then to bring it to the US, where you might get into extra complications reflagging the boat. (Although as I recall, a Valiant was built here in Texas so as long as you have the builder's certificate or other good paperwork, that would be no problem.)

Right now coming north into Florida's Gold Coast market could be a problem since hurricance season is formally open and insuring the boat in that area is problematic. I have no idea how the boat trade goes in the various islands, Puerto Rico might be a good idea, or might be of no advantage, considering it is still a smaller market than the US mainland and still enjoys hurricane season.

North of Florida...there's always Annapolis, a huge market and above hurricane problems. Possibly something in Texas...but getting the boat to a large market AND out of hurricane range, during this sales season instead of over the winter, might be of value.

Needless to say, for any long trip like that, you might have to bring down crew expecting them to do some repairs and refitting before they can sail it away. A bit of an undertaking no matter how you look at it, but Valiant is a good name and I think you'd find buyers in the US without any problem. (Except the usual problem, agreeing to a price.)

Perhaps it would be worth getting a referral to a couple of brokers in Annapolis, and asking their opinion and interest? If you can find someone who "specializes" in Valiant sales, they may even have a customer waiting who would fly down to the DR to check it out. Easier to pay a brokerage fee than to transport a boat!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook