SailNet Community - View Single Post - $3000/mo cruising budget
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2014

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
That's what I mean. Pick up or drop off, or maybe an emergency or breakdown. Picked up a passenger at a fuel dock. Or docked at a public dock and walked around. I once moored at the wrong ball, but had paid. Anyway, I don't really want to make a major point there, just an offhand comment meant to contrast normal getting around with literally squatting at a resort hotel as a lifestyle. I have never used someone's dingy davit to raise my mast. :-)

So, on my original point about the article - “We especially enjoyed being anchored off fancy resorts that charged $500 a night. We paid zero and had a much better view, without noisy neighbors. During the day we would go ashore to these resorts, using our dinghy, and wander the grounds and enjoy the amenities for free.”

That struck me as really incredibly shady to live a life where you pull up at a resort hotel and use their amenities without at least going to the desk and offering to pay and getting permission. I can't imagine my wife and I doing that. It's stealing.

I mean , I just couldn't physically do it. My conscience would really bother me way to much.
One of our favorite spots was in Los Hadas Mexico, the hotel where the movie "10" was filmed. Moorings were about 6 bucks a night and that included use of all the hotel amenities. Beautiful pool with white towels, drinks poolside and a reasonable BBQ evening and dancing. Most places we've come across are welcoming to yachties, have a drink, meal and the place is yours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.

Last edited by Faster; 03-09-2014 at 12:39 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook