SailNet Community - View Single Post - First timer's experience.
View Single Post
post #19 of Old 06-27-2007
nolatom

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbarnhart
I just picked up a Snark. I traded an old acoustic guitar for it (I love Craigslist ).

I got it for a couple of reasons. One is that I want to teach my kids. I want a decent sized boat in the not too distant future. My wife isn't sold on it yet; if the kids become sailors, well...

Another reason is that I built a little pirogue (flat bottom canoe) that I wanted to adapt to sailing. The hardware required to adapt to the Snark rig to my pirogue will cost me maybe $5 and an hour or so. I already have a lee board, I squared off the stern so I just need a pin bracket for the rudder and I have a deck where the mast goes - just need to cut a hole in the deck add a couple of braces and a sort piece of PVC pipe and I am done!

BTW, for others who need instructions, I found an online manual for a Sea Eagle inflatable that has a similar lanteen rig, so while much of the manual doesn't apply, the sail rig is pretty much the same and the general info on sailing applies:

http://www.seaeagle.com/Instructions/SailCat14sc.pdf

Okay, I actually happen to know what a pirogue is... if you can sail a pirogue (not big on lateral stability) with a Snark rig, you can sail anything, big or small. Best of luck to you and enjoy it....
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome