SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cruising Advice
Thread: Cruising Advice
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2002

MaryBeth is on a distinguished road
Cruising Advice

Graycie,

Oh, go. You will most likely regret it forever if you don''t.

As for what trampsailor says, I have met many, many women with young children aboard who would have killed their husbands if given half a chance. I recall in particular this one woman I met at a marina in the Catskills. They were on a wooden, about a 45 footer. She had one on the breast, one on the hip, and one on the run. I helped her to load the last few bits she had gotten from the market (her husband was no help, preferring to chat with a dockhand). I said to her, "What a lovely boat, it has such..." And she stopped me, put her hand on my shoulder, and said, "If you say ''character'', I''ll have to hit you" and laughed. They left for their trip up the Hudson and to the Canals. About 5 hours later, while sitting in the bar enjoying dinner after distepping the mast, we saw them tow her back in. She came in to the restaurant/bar, kids in tow, while her hubby sat on the dock chatting with the mechanic. I offered to watch the kids for her while she talked on the phone (was for about an hour). Anyway, next day, wife and kids were gone, he was passed out out in the cockpit and they were trying to rouse him to help move the boat so others could get in to be distepped. SO - as long as this is not your scenario (and I have also seen many, many happy families living aboard, too) go for it!!!!

Best Wishes,
MaryBeth

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook