SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is living aboard a Beneteau 430 possibble?
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2002

MaryBeth is on a distinguished road
Is living aboard a Beneteau 430 possibble?

Paul,

A few people I''ve known have chosen to change one or more of the cabins into either an office or a workshop. One man did canvas work, a woman actually fit her stained glass stuff in there. So, it can be done. I think, like they do, that changing the cabins into user-friendly space is more effective than taking that seat out of the salon. That can usually be used as a sleeping area for guests, if need be, by adjusting the table set. Unless, of course, you plan on entertaining a lot of overnight guests and don''t need the extra space for private stuff.

What do I live on now? A wing and a prayer - inland. What do I wish I lived on? - Guinevere, an 80''s something 52 footer that was on St. Lucia for years and years. During my deliveries there I saw her being robbed for parts and moved offshore when the bigwigs came to visit the charter base. But I slept many nights on her after stepping off the delivered boats. The first time I was on her, in 1993, I got aboard and cut on the electric to hear a faint humming. Turned out that it was the fan in the crew''s quarters, left on because it smelled like I don''t know what. During that stay I cleaned up the crew''s quarter''s and every time I went back to her, it had evidently taken, because the crew''s quarter''s were never that nasty again. I just don''t agree with leaving a boat to die, as it were, I guess. The owner had left her for the bank to sell and, like I said, they were just robbing her. Last time I was on her, they had taken her topping lift and her boom was lying across her deck like a heartbroken lover''s smile. I always wished I had the money to buy her, she was a steal. I hope she''s in good hands now. She was a lovely, roomy, beautiful boat, and to see something that beautiful going to waste in the lovely light of St. Lucia was so sad.

Anyway, best of luck in your search,
MaryBeth
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook