SailNet Community - View Single Post - Nauticat 44 motorsailer vs Nauticat 42 pilot house
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Except for the Obsession I see a few things a bit differently than TB. I wanted the fantastic amount of room that the Traditional Motorsailor offers even in the little 33 or 331 - it's like a little split level house with a dining room view to die for. The 321 which is of the sleeker Pilothouse side of the Nauticat line has no where near the amount of living space. I wanted fairly new, so the 331 was the only just barely affordable option for me.
When you get into the 40' range though the difference in living space becomes less of an issue. The whole 'Bluewater' thing is an ugly topic but I agree with the EU Certification on this point - that the sliding - NON-Watertight doors make it a 'B' not an 'A Offshore' rated boat. In my Never Humble Opinion I don't think they are a structural problem but they can ship water even on a very extreme heal with some confused seas. I think it is 'user fixable' if you, as many do, just plain like the Traditional models better.... but as is I wouldn't want to be so far away from shore that I could get caught in some really bad stuff. It is one of my projects .... one of these years to with a few added strips of wood make them basically as watertight and secure as companionway hatch boards are.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI

Last edited by christyleigh; 06-28-2007 at 09:47 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook