SailNet Community - View Single Post - First single-handing of the new boat: yikes!
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue
Once you get more sailing experience Joel, then things like this will resolve themselves like second nature.

Before buying my current boat, a ketch with non-selftailing winches and a 150% Genoa, I've always sailed with self-tailers. I typically singlehand every time we go out (wife likes to watch . . . but that's another story) and I thought I'd get myself in all sorts of trouble.

But after awhile tacking under full sail became a breeze. Timing is everything in life.
Well i definately have a good amount of experience but there is always room for more. The thing that got me was the single handing part. I've taken our O'day 22 out tons of times by myself but with 5' more of a boat under me and that much more sail area made a BIG difference. I was tacking great, had great sail trim, etc... it was that damn stripper arm that got me. I should let the cat out of the bag and also say that i was racing my sailing school instructor so i was trying to keep my lead when i started to trim the line in... before i knew it... JAM! So the truth comes out... i was trying to be a badass and failed miserably.

What was it like the first time you single handed your Ketch?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook