SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fuel Tank Location - Above Carb Level?
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2014

captainmurph is on a distinguished road
Fuel Tank Location - Above Carb Level?

I need to add either permanent or temporary additional fuel storage to my Cal 30 for a long trip next fall.

My existing system has the fuel tank and its outlet below the level of the carb, but the line feeds into a shut off, goes uphill to a Raccor and then downhilll to the mechanical fuel pump.

If I plumb in a two tank selector to replace the existing, connect one tank from the existing tank hose and another to the other tank, isn't it possible to have that other tank higher and be legal and safe?

It seems that the Raccor and the mechanical fuel pump would mechanically prevent a tank from gravity flooding the engine with these design lmitations. Specifically, if the fuel pump wan't operating, nothing would allow the fuel at the selector tank to go uphill to the filter and gravity drain further.

I have looked at the USCG site and ABYC regs and can't find a clear answer.

If my tank outlet can be above the level of the carb, I can either convert part of one of the quarter berths to install a permanent tank, or do the plumbing to have a couple of 12 G above deck tanks secured on the cockpit sole and plumbed the the selector?

Anyone have an answer?

Murph
S/V Amalia
1965 Cal 30
Muskegon, MI
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook