SailNet Community - View Single Post - Training/Certification
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
"Sapperwhite, thats one heck of a nice looking boat you got there."

Thanks. She's a lot of work.

Crewing is a good choice too, but if Bardo has been sailing on small boats all his life he probably has the whole Sail Theory and Sail Techniques thing in his pocket. You probably will learn something new, or become more proficient at the things you already know, and for that it's a good, inexpensive choice. These ASA classes teach more regarding planning, passage making, nav, and understanding the equipment. It's somewhat more cruiser oriented. Also, making it up to the 104 is a bareboat charter cert. So, the ASA log will be your proof of training if you want to charter someday.

The reason that I recommended this particular school is the boats. A lot of other schools I had looked at started students out in a Cat Capri 22, and thats fine, but this schools smallest boat is an Island Packet 32. That makes a big difference as they let you sleep aboard, no hotel bills, and it's a comfy learning platform. It's also closer to what Bardo is sailing now, a 29. Also, the instructors are TOP notch people, really proficient and knowledgeable. The school has been mentioned a few times in Blue Water Sailing for their great classes. PS this is not spam, I am in no way, other than being a customer and student, a part of this organization.

I haven't been sailing for a long time like a lot of people on this board, but what I've learned through the Md school is a big confidence and competence booster.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook