SailNet Community - View Single Post - Deck vs. Keel Stepped Masts
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2007

FtLMale is on a distinguished road
re:Deck vs. Keel Stepped Masts

Jeff H,
I read with particular interest your comments on the thread "Deck vs. Keel Stepped Masts". I have an Islander 37 sloop whose mast was crushed on the bottom 3 feet by an errant boat hoist operator. You mentioned that your next boat would be a keel stepped mast which you would modify to a deck stepped mast. I would be very interested in what modification you undertook to accomplish this. To quote you "My preferred set up is a deck stepped mast that has a welded flange on its bottom that is through bolted through the deck into the top flange of a structural jack post. The boat that I am buying has a keel stepped mast. It is my intent to pull this mast and have it modified to that arrangement."
I am strongly considering the same modification, although using a fiberglass structural jack post to prevent rust, rot and other assorted maladies with a stainless steel flange on top and bottom of the cabin for connection. I am interested especially on how much side loading I should anticipate on the deck to gauge the structural additions I should add. Any input you have would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook