SailNet Community - View Single Post - $3000/mo cruising budget
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by findrichard View Post
Wow, refit costs are much less than I would have thought. That is encouraging. I have always thought sails and running rigging were only good for about 5 years of constant use and standing rigging was ready for replacement every 10 years of constant use.
You don't sail around the world and then refit. You take advantage of opportunities when you see them. For example, we replaced our wire/rope main halyards in South Africa because the local rope manufacturer (Southern Ropes) had a terrific price on Dyneema.

I think from your questions you are looking for really clear, exact answers for things like budgeting. It does not work that way. We are all different and and our boats are all different. If you have an older diesel (ours is 1990 and 4000 hours) it can be working just fine one day and need a rebuild the next - or it might be fine for five more years - how do you build things like that into the budget. We travelled fairly cheaply (probably $1500 a month) but we have a good nest-egg available if we have a costly repair or want to head off for a couple of weeks in New Zealand or South Africa. Everyone's mileage will vary.