Join Date: May 2006
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 10
Just bought my first boat! Catalina 27 diesel
Hi Everyone -
I sort of jumped into buying my first boat today, a 1976 Catalina 27', with tiller and diesel Yanmar. The boat is in better condition than most other 1970-era boats I've seen, but the spreader brackets are cracked, and the bow sprit is bent badly (tree branch dropped on it).
My question is - what should I check out on the boat now that I have it, and what should I do while it is in dry dock?
A few things I need to address, feel free to comment with ideas:
1) Replace Spreader Brackets
2) Step the Mast and hook up wiring (while the mast is down - any electronics I should add? New VHF arial maybe? GPS antenna (or is it better to mout GPS low in the boat?), maybe Radar?
3) The icebox and sink drain do not have a seacock on the outlet, but a regular water valve (gate valve I think) - should I change this? Is it urgent?
4) The diesel fuel tank is loose - the fiberglass matting that holds it in place is loose, and the tank is essentially loose to slide around. Any advice on this?
5) The bow pulpit is bent - should I try to unbend it, or do I need to buy a new one?
I paid just $2,000 for her - just need to haul her to water (20 miles) and step the mast.