SailNet Community - View Single Post - Just bought my first boat! Catalina 27 diesel
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 06-30-2007 Thread Starter
7tiger7

Just bought my first boat! Catalina 27 diesel

Hi Everyone -
I sort of jumped into buying my first boat today, a 1976 Catalina 27', with tiller and diesel Yanmar. The boat is in better condition than most other 1970-era boats I've seen, but the spreader brackets are cracked, and the bow sprit is bent badly (tree branch dropped on it).

My question is - what should I check out on the boat now that I have it, and what should I do while it is in dry dock?

A few things I need to address, feel free to comment with ideas:

1) Replace Spreader Brackets
2) Step the Mast and hook up wiring (while the mast is down - any electronics I should add? New VHF arial maybe? GPS antenna (or is it better to mout GPS low in the boat?), maybe Radar?
3) The icebox and sink drain do not have a seacock on the outlet, but a regular water valve (gate valve I think) - should I change this? Is it urgent?
4) The diesel fuel tank is loose - the fiberglass matting that holds it in place is loose, and the tank is essentially loose to slide around. Any advice on this?
5) The bow pulpit is bent - should I try to unbend it, or do I need to buy a new one?

I paid just $2,000 for her - just need to haul her to water (20 miles) and step the mast.

Any idea?
Phillip
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome