SailNet Community - View Single Post - New owner of Cal Crusing 36 design information?
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2007

QuoiCaDit is on a distinguished road
Cal 36 Cruising

I have one. She's called "Quoi Ca Dit". I completely rebuilt her in 2000-1 replacing all the main bulkheads and all the furniture in the main cabin. I hauled out the fuel tank, cleaned it (over a gallon of sludge in it) and gave it a good coat of paint and a large inspection hatch.

QCD has since cruised from Alabama to Trinidad, crossed the Atlantic to Poole, England in 2003 and recrossed back to the Caribbean in 2005.

I was my intention to do a circumnavigation but she has been badly damaged in an accident within a few hours of being stored on land in Power Boats boatyard in Trinidad. I have now been fighting for nearly a year for adequate compensation.

QCD was a beautiful boat. She sailed exceptionally well. The hull is well laminated with woven rovings and is over 12mm think in the bilge. She's behaved very well and I'm really gutted that she has been damaged so badly.

By the way .... The fuel tank has a lot of baffles in it so you cant put a bladder inside.

If anyone can add weight to the build quality of the Cals I would like to here from them. The insurers are saying that they were built cheap

I rather suspect that the keel was moulded in two parts with another section laminated in in way of the stern tube. Is there anyone out there that confirm this?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook