SailNet Community - View Single Post - Just bought my first boat! Catalina 27 diesel
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7tiger7
Hi Jim -
thanks for the info.
You're quite welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7tiger7
I did look at that compression "block" in the bilge, and it did look soft. it looks like the epoxy that covered it had cracked away, allowing bilge water to soak the wood.
If anyone has any more info on how to fix this - please let me know.
I saw a discussion on this, somewhere, but apparently I didn't save the URL. Sorry. You might check Catalina Owners.com for owners sailing production sailboats or International Catalina 27/270 Association.

If I recall correctly: There aren't many options. If the wood is not beyond rescue, you could try letting it dry out, which might take quite a bit of time if it's really badly soaked, and try the epoxy injection fix. Then seal it up. Otherwise the only other fix, I believe, is to remove the compression post (which wasn't difficult, as I recall), take up a bit of the cabin's sole, and remove and replace the compression block.

Sounds like a PITA. And perhaps it will be. But make no mistake: Fixing this is something that has to be done. All of the mast's downward force is applied to that block of wood.

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook