SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thoughts on new boats
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 06-06-2002
Thoughts on new boats

I just completed the process of buying a boat under almost the same criteria (it comes in next week!!!!), except I have two kids and my wife also wanted a separate stall shower. Like many of the above posts have suggested I looked at the used market. If you’re willing to have a ten-year-old plus boat, you may be able to get into a Sabre 362 or a Tartan 3700 in the upper end of your price range. I (more accurately the Admiral) did not want a ten-year-old boat so we ended up going new. Also as suggested, we found the e-mail lists on SailNet plus the owners’ sites (the ones put together by actual owners, not the companies) to provide a lot of insights into what types of issues people are having with their boats. Also, people are fairly willing to engage in one to one e-mail discussions to answer specific questions. Despite the general negativity on this board around any boat that might actually fit your criteria such as a Beneteau 361, Catalina 350, Jeanneau 37 or Bavaria 37 (its only a matter of time before someone suggests you buy a Trawler), you actually can get some good advice from some people in this group! Best of luck to you in your search.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome