SailNet Community - View Single Post - How do you feel about catamarans?
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: How do you feel about catamarans?

Ability to cross oceans and go around the Horn always seems to come up on Sailnet.

We're coastal sailors on Barnegat Bay. Our longest hop to date was between Norfolk, VA and New Jersey. We sail for pleasure and will never round the Horn. I think we're the norm not the exception.

I'd be curious to hear from cat owners about how their boats do for coastal leisure sailing.
  • How well do they move in light air (more wetted surface)?
  • Do you fly a spinnaker or code 0 to keep her moving in light air?
  • A cat like the Fontaine Pajot 38 I posted has a 20 foot beam. How difficult is it to find a slip?
  • When you find a slip are you paying more?
  • How about winter storage, do yards charge more for a cat?
  • Can that boat be hauled with a normal travel lift?
  • If you go aground how difficult is it to get a cat unstuck (two hulls, can't rock her)?
  • Are your rudders exposed if you ground in shallow water?
  • How hard is it to open the stack pack and get that big sail up?
  • It's obvious when it's time to reef on my boat. Without the feedback of heeling can you feel when it's time to reef or do you keep an eye on wind speed?
  • How well does a cat handle the confused water and steep boat wakes that you see in shallow, crowded coastal areas?
  • In a crowded anchorage will a cat swing differently than the monos that may be anchored around it?
  • What are some things about cats that a mono sailor might not think to ask?

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook