SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lose footed mast furling Main
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
The convieninces for shorthanded sailing far out way the neagatives.

Just last Saturday we were running parallel to a larger boat, we were side by side seperated by about a half a mile. We continued like this for over 6 miles. He headed back and I said to my self " So much for the fully battened man sail, I thought I was supposed to be so much slower because I have a roller furling main."

We had an 8 hour run at an average of 7.5knots, I'm not complaining.

Never have had it jam, it always rolls right up. With propper execution and maintanence, I'm not sure why it would jamb. We are very careful when rolling it up to make sure we don't roll too far.

When the wind starts to overpower, you can reduce very easily. Leave as much sail out as you want. The reefing points are endless.

We love ours for costal cruising.

One thing I will add, I have said this before on another thread.
My experince, with the loose footed main, I have not been able to depower the main by going full outhaul and trying to flatten. No matter how much tension I put on the out haul, I still have a nice curve to the sail. To depower and get propper helm balance, after I have done everything else, I simply roll in some main to decress sail area.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White

Last edited by sailortjk1; 07-02-2007 at 08:35 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook