SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tall Ships in Newport - photos
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Tall Ships in Newport - photos

The Tall Ship's most recent visit to Newport, RI this past week was a huge success to local businesses, visiting tourists and the area's spectator fleet. These ships are from countries all over the world and are mostly used as training ships - with cadets living aboard for months at a time.

Literally hundreds of thousands of people clogged the streets and waterfront areas of Newport, aspiring to see the visiting ships from land. The best way though, was definitely by water. We were on the boat all this past weekend and sailed down the Bay to Newport to experience the magnificence of these ships from the water's vantage point.

Of the hundred or so photos we took, I thought many of you sailors may enjoy seeing a few. On Saturday, we navigated around the Harbor to see all 19 ships at both anchor and dockside. You don't realize the scale of these boats, until seen up close from the water.

The next day, on Sunday, we positioned ourselves at anchor off the southwest end of Rose Island to see the Parade of Sail. Due to Homeland Security measures, the USCG and local water officers patrolled the perimeter of the charted parade route to keep all spectator boats away.

We stayed at anchor for the entire fleet's sail up the Bay and took some distant photos during this segment. For the parade's downwind leg under the Newport Bridge as the ships departed Narragansett Bay in their journey to other ports, I decided to weigh anchor and sail alongside them.

Security seemed a bit more relaxed during this portion of the parade, so I took advantage by sailing closer - getting some nice shots in the process. Weather during this event couldn't have been better, all in all, a fantastic weekend for us.

Last edited by TrueBlue; 07-02-2007 at 11:47 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook