SailNet Community - View Single Post - Training/Certification
View Single Post
post #11 of Old 07-02-2007
ReverendMike
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibn2it
"Also, making it up to the 104 is a bareboat charter cert. So, the ASA log will be your proof of training if you want to charter someday"

I have this cert. and I am interested in chartering in the near future. Does anyone know how much clout this carries with charter companies?

Thnks -

Ben
Ben

The Admiral and i each had up to 104 with a few dozen daysails in keelboats as the total of our experience, and we were allowed to charter, no problem.
-Did the fact that we both had the paper matter? Maybe, i don't know.
-Did the charter company ask the school? I would think so, but i don't know.
-Were we comfortable? Yes, but we had along a friend with lots of beachcat experience (but no papers), i had been reading everything sailing for years, and we were cautious.
-Did we have any problems? No, thankfully.
-Did they have our credit card as ransom? You bet your ar$e they did!

I suspect that last item is the one that truly matters

From a safety standpoint (your safety, that is) what really matters is what you actually retain and still understand from the classes once you let go the docklines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome