SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where should we retire with our boat?
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road
Re: Where should we retire with our boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benesailor View Post
Belize is offering up dual citzenship for $2500(?) righy now with no tax on imports items to get set up, if i recall correctly. I read up on it a year ago or so.
It's filling up with ex-pats. Won't be the place to be in 5 years.

Savanna is the place to be ! It's wonderful !
My wife and her girl friends like to travel to Belize and talks about us retiring there. I think the same thing as you, it's filling up too fast with ex-pats right now, same as Costa Rica has already done.

Panama is looking better and better, though.

If Cuba wasn't such a dump, and illegal for US citizens, you could retire there.

A friend of mine who went down there a couple of years ago ran into an American who was illegally living there. He would fly to Mexico once a month to get his disability deposit out of the bank in cash and then fly back to Cuba. He said he was living like a king on about $350 per month and the Cuban government was okay with it as long as he only spent the dollars where they told him to, (approved government vendors) and didn't let any of it get out to the regular people.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico

Last edited by Group9; 03-13-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook