SailNet Community - View Single Post - Custom Interior
Thread: Custom Interior
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2014
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Custom Interior

The older boats have kind of a rough finished, raw feeling to them.

Rough holes cut into the liner for the storage cubbies, that sort of thing. I'm hull #255. All of the cubby doors are not hinged or attached. They latch with a ball-pin and catch.
The galley and head slide panels for the storage cubbies were a horrible, 70's plaid pattern.
The wood trim pieces are marine ply with a crappy, faux wood veneer.
Oh- the early boats often had terrible "Smurf blue" formica for the galley, head and dinette table tops.

The newer P30's I've been on used real wood instead of the ply/veneer.
The slide panels were smoked acrylic.
The cubby doors were hinged, and use a spring loaded latch that you must release by poking your finger into the hole in the door.
The holes were cut better through the cabin liner.
White became the predominant color of the galley, head and dinette formica.

In the grand scheme of things, this is all pretty minor, and just cosmetic.
Functionally, early and late P30's are pretty identical. There are minor changes, like the location of the raw water seacock for the engine, the brand of seacock used, etc.
Depth and speed instruments changed brands a few times over the years.
Engine instruments were predominantly Stewart-Warner.
The 12VDC electrical panel changed a few times, but was always variable depending on what options you ordered the boat with.

Oh- On early boats, the head and galley sinks drain through stand-pipes. The later boats had through-hulls and seacocks installed on them.

I lived aboard for a period of time, and found the interior to be perfectly functional as-is. I've never been aboard a P30 that had extensive modifications to the interior, so I think most owners find the cabin layout to be acceptable.

Stowage is ample, and out of the way. When the dinette is folded away, the cabin is open and airy. The galley is out of the way of the companionway, so traffic to the cockpit is not impeded by someone doing galley duty.

I kept a mini-fridge and small microwave stacked right in front of the quarterberth. I kept sails and other items stowed behind them in the quarterberth.

I kept my office clothes hanging on a spring-loaded rod in the head, above the toilet. Jackets and foul weather gear were in the hang-up locker behind the toilet.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook