SailNet Community - View Single Post - Training/Certification
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Looking,
Nope, but close. She is a Pacific Seacraft Orion. Funny thing is a new thread just popped up recently, "Shannon 28 vs. Orion 27" (or something to that affect).

Another thing about taking courses is that you can work your way up to more serious things like 106, advanced coastal, and 108, offshore passage making. I don't know of other schools courses, but the school I mentioned earlier does a Delmarva circumnavigation for 106. For 108 they do Norfolk to Bermuda, or St. Thomas to Bermuda, either to or from each location. If you take 107 for celestial nav before taking 108, you can do the practical excersise portion, taking actual sights, during the cruise to get the 107 cert. Now, I haven't taken these upper level courses yet, but my uncle has, also through the Md. School of Sailing, and has nothing but great things to say of the experience and knowledge gained from them. So you can take it as far as you are willing to go (and afford $$$). There are many ways to learn new things about sailing, but my experience with this particular school has been nothing but positive.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook